Saturday 27 July 2013

What breastfeeding moms should be eating

Since giving birth I've been so busy trying to bath my baby, do his laundry, do little chores around the house, breastfeeding, changing nappies, rocking him to sleep and eventually seeing if I could squeeze in a quick shower. I sometimes completely forget to eat, never mind eat with my baby's nutrition in mind.

While I was pregnant, I worked extra hard to eat correctly and avoid foods like unpasteurized cheeses and fruit juices, uncooked meat, raw eggs, pre-stuffed chicken, fish containing high levels of mercury, perishable meats, smoked fish, raw shellfish and alcohol. I frantically read food labels and steered clear at all costs. I made sure I took my DS24, Mum Omega supplement and had a teaspoon of Calsuba daily. 

While making sure you eat healthy when pregnant, it is equally important to continue doing so if you breastfeed. Not only to benefit your child, but also to boost your own immune system. Being sick with a crying infant is no joke. Trust me.

I just checked out this website (see below) and this is what I found to be a healthy diet:


At least two main servings of salmon per week for DHA.


Three cups of low-fat dairy products per day for calcium.


Lean beef for protein and vitamin A.

 
Legumes for protein.
 


Blueberries for carbohydrates.


Brown rice for carbohydrates.

 
Oranges for vitamin C.


One to two eggs per day for protein.


Whole-wheat bread for fibre, iron and folic acid.


Leafy greens for vitamin A, calcium, vitamin C, iron and antioxidants.


Whole grain cereal to boost energy.


Water to keep energy levels and milk production up.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.
    lactating cookies

    ReplyDelete