Wednesday 3 July 2013

The CONS about being a breastfeeding mom

Even before I became a mother, I never doubted that I would one day be a breastfeeding mom. Call me old-fashioned but it has always boggled my mind why anyone would choose to allow their child to suck a bottle, when we all know the health benefits and convenience of the God created breast.

It was only until I had my little one that I understood the numerous CONS. Yes, I heard stories about cracked and bleeding nipples, but I was prepared to bear all that for the love for my child. The truth is, what is so obvious about breastfeeding had never crossed my mind until now. It started in hospital, when I didn't have a clue how to breastfeed. I thought I'd just pop out my boob and my baby would latch like the little professional he is. Not that way at all, between the two of us, I'm not sure who was more clueless. That was day one of drama - hard rock boobs, a sleeping baby and several nurses squeezing my, once private boobs, trying to express the milk my Elijah was too lazy to suck.

With guidance, a breast pump and some pain, I conquered that and was heading towards being a professional breastfeeding mum. When I had that all figured out I ventured to go shopping with three week old Elijah. Fed him beforehand and ready to paint the town red. Only to realize that a breast baby, and a demand feed at that, is exactly that. Demanding. Anywhere, and at any time, be prepared. Did I mention I have a screamer? Needless to say my first experience in a mall made me look like a cruel, amateur mom who chose shopping above her baby's needs.

The list of CONS are endless. I have never left his side since the day he was born 67 days ago, yes I am counting the days. He demands my boobs while I'm eating, sleeping, using the toilet, in the shower, on the phone or even now while trying to blog. Not only are you forced to drop whatever you are doing, people are hardly keen to hold your little bundle of joy for fear that he'll start screaming for something only you can supply him with.

So there it is, all the CONS about breastfeeding. Will I stop you may wonder? Absolutely not. I have 9 months and 28 days to go. The look in his eyes as he devours his meal is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment